[小说][原创]The Seven Discs of the Gods

6楼
Chapter 8

I opened my eyes and found myself starring at the high ceiling of some room.  A fire was burning somewhere near as I could hear the creaking wood in the flame.  There was a firm and clean-smelling mattress supporting my body and my head was resting on soft pillow scented with lavender.  My clothes were all gone and I was aware of my nakedness beneath the sheets while my limbs were free to move around indicating my status of a guest and not a prisoner.  I tried to get up but the dizziness in my head forced me to slump back onto the bed when two young maidens dressed in pure white linen entered the room preceded by their merry laughter.  They were a bit surprised and certainly delighted to see I had come around and one placed the back of her hand against my brow and nodded in satisfaction.
“Your fever is gone.” She smiled and said.
“Fever?  Did I have a fever?” I could not remember anything except the plunge into the icy water.
“Yes. And you had been in this state for three days now.”
“Three days?” My mind was so confused. Then, I remembered Bituitius.  
“What had happened to my companion?” I asked meekly as I had no strength to get up.
“Do not worry.  He is in the best of health and is being entertained by the Queen.”
“The Queen? What queen?”
“ By our Queen.  Alicia, Queen of the Demetae, to whom we serve as handmaids.  She rescued you from the river along with your friend. Do you not remember?”
I shook my head.  No, I could not remember a thing about that though I was much relieved to learn Bituitius was unharmed.
“When can I see him?” I asked “And my clothes…”
“They were cleaned and being hung out to dry.” The maidens assured me.
I was about to pursue further about the disc when someone else entered the room.
She was the most strikingly good-looking woman. I had ever laid eyes upon Her face was kind of oval in shape with a pair of large, clear hazel colour eyes that spoke of an intelligent and confident mind.  The cheekbones were high, as was the nose with a well-shaped chin to complement the sensuous lips. Her blonde hair was pinned neatly behind her head with a brooch studded with seven beautiful precious stones of the highest quality.  But it was her body that captured my attention most.  I never knew a female body could be so temptingly beautiful. Scantily covered by silk of sapphire blue, every part of her body was exactly to the right proportion: the breasts, the waist, and the well-tapered legs… And she was aware of the power she held sway over others through her charms.
I knew I was looking at the Queen.
“So, you have finally woken up.” She sat down beside my bed and placed her hand on my wrist.  Her voice was as enchanting as her body.
I merely nodded and fixed my eyes on her all the time.
She did not take that as offence and her face broadened into a captivating smile.
“What happens to my friend?” I pursuit
“He is well, taken-care of by my handmaids.” She assured me.
I blushed despite my attempt to remain calm.  I could see easily how Bituitius could be so content in such company.
I was about to ask more but she placed a finger on my lips.  
“Rest now, my little one.  We can talk later. “
“But I ….”
She kept on smiling at me when she placed her hand over my eyes and murmured something.  In less than a few seconds, my eyes grew heavy and I fell into a deep sleep.  
I did not know how long I slept this time.  I just felt someone holding my shoulders gently and a heavenly drink was dripped into my dry throat, a most soothing feeling then arose from my stomach and rapidly extended to every part of my body.  I felt safe and relaxed into sweet sleep again.
When I woke up again, my strength had been totally restored.  To my surprise, even the wound in my leg had completely healed.  
The maids came in, smiling and deferential as they helped me to dress.  Instead of the tunic and riding breeches I was used to, a silk gown of creamy white was pulled down over me.  When the maids had finished their tying the sash and a number of knots, one of them upheld a full-length mirror before me.  In it I could see a “me” that seemed so much a stranger in my own eyes.  One of my shoulders was bare, and so was a large part of my upper bosom.  The soft silk clang to the contour of my breasts and revealed a deep cleft between them.  Golden sandals were placed under my feet and a coronet with small emeralds was put on my head.  I was not very comfortable dressed as such but I must admit that even I liked what appeared in the mirror.
After I was properly attired, I was led out of the room.  A feast was being organized and music was in the air.  We passed the open ground between the compound where my room was in and the lofty grand hall situated at the center of the hill fort.  People were smiling at me, masses of flowers being placed along the path I took so that the fragrance would guide me to the hall.  I was somewhat bewildered by such reception.  After all, I was just a poor thing that got chased up by a giant man-eating worm and dropped into an icy pool.  And these were my rescuers to whom I owed my life. Why such civility and honour?
Before I could find clues to solve the puzzle, I was ushered into the grand hall itself.  Alicia was sitting in the center at the far end, beautiful as ever in her royal robe.  Bituitius was seated to her right.  He looked fine to me but the expression on his face was weird, to say the least.  Then, it was the nobles and warriors, being served by beautiful young maidens.  Three slave-girls, wearing only white gauze light as feathers, were dancing to an exotic melody.  
Alicia beacon me to sit by her left when she noticed my entry.  I looked across the table at Bituitius.  He kept his silence but from his eyes I could see that something was wrong and he was using his brain fast to get us out of it.  If he could.
The dancing was finished and the slave-girls retired.
Alicia stood and made a speech in the local tongue, which I could pick up only a few words.  
“What is it about?” I lip read to Bituitius who seemed to be following what was being said.
“The Queen has announced her wedding…” he was lip-reading back to me.
“And…”
“And the consort is…..”
“Please do not tell me it is you…” I stared in his direction but he was listening hard.
“No.”
I breathed a sigh of relief.
“It is YOU…” His facial expression was almost comic. “The Queen is going to marry you!”

7楼
Chapter 9

I sat uneasily in the exotic boudoir that they had given me. Never had I been surrounded my so much luxury as I had in these last few days. During this time Bituitius had hammered out a deal with Queen Alicia. For the most part I had sat in silence, almost in a trance staggered at the part I played in their plans. Bituitius's reassuring glances and the knowledge that the stakes were so high had prevented me from protesting at the part I had to play. Now I contemplated the agreements reached. The earth disc which had belonged to the Demetae together with a very precious and very magical ring had been stolen from Queen Alicia by a daring thief who had fled into the infamous labyrinth underneath this Demetae town. Alicia needed the power that this ring gave her to maintain rule and control the tribe's protector the rather frightening earthworm, which we had already encountered. Bituitius had agreed that we would follow the thief's path of flight into the labyrinth to recover her disc and ring and in return Alicia would let us borrow her earth disc for our quest.
Alicia had to marry before the age of twenty-five otherwise the nobility had the right to challenge her rule, she was just a few months short of twenty five. Part of the deal was that I would marry her on our return from the labyrinth, a brief ceremony before we continue our quest in the Western Island. The school of magic she was practicing was entirely contrary to the Druid faith and hence Bituitius was immediately ruled out as a candidate but there was no rule against her marrying a person of the same sex so it had to be me. As there was a powerful rival waiting in the wings no one from her own tribe dare accept the dubious honour. All this was weighing heavily on me and I was worried. I worried about the ceremony. I worried that to my surprise I found her body tempting. I worried that she had for the most part kept Bituitius and me apart and most of all I worried about the labyrinth which we were to enter tomorrow. We had to act fast, as a marriage would not keep a dangerous pretender quiet for too long.

The handmaids who had taken care of me the day before came in and handed me a most refined piece of garment which I put on without a murmur, leaving my shoulders bare and revealed much of my small breasts. I looked in the mirror and I was amazed how good I looked. My heart beat fast for I was not so naive as not to know what the Queen wanted. Was the pounding, fear or desire? I was not sure.
I was led to the Queen's chamber and the door was closed behind me. I had entered a room more beautiful than any I had ever seen. Amidst the luxury Alicia was lying on a large couch covered with pink velvet and she was almost naked except for her jewelry. A large amethyst hung from her neck; she had gold chains around her ankles and wrists and on the index finger of each hand a ring encrusted with a huge diamond. More breathtaking than her jewelry was her body. She was very beautiful; her skin was soft, her eyes stunning, her long blond hair hung down her shoulders, her body was slim and taut and her breasts ample and ripe. I felt my heart flutter.
"Naked but worth a small fortune", she smiled. Her smile helped to light up the candle lit room. I could feel myself falling under her spell and was powerless to resist.
"Sit down next to me, my little one", she smiled.
I moved over to her and sat warily down next to her. By now my heart was pounding as if to leap out of my body.
"Relax, my pretty flower", she said as she undid the sash of my gown which slipped from my body slowly until I was as naked as she was.
"You are shaking", she said.
"I am nervous", I replied.
"Don't worry, my little flower", she purred and began to run her brush through my short black hair. When she had finished she placed her soft hands on my shoulders and eased me down so I was lying on my back. Her fingers gently began to caress my breasts.
I sat up and asked, "Is this the price I must pay for the discs".
She laughed, "there is no price just pleasure. Behind me now her full breasts were pressing against my back and her hands were cupping my breasts. Then again I was on my back submitting to her ministrations and marveling at the pleasures she was bestowing. Now Alicia's mouth was on my breasts and my nipples were being licked and I felt the hardening at her touch. The pleasure was exquisite. Her mouth was now all over me my toes, my fingers, my lips then exploring my body. Then she leaned down to give me the most intimate kiss of all. The wetness between my legs was warm against my thighs but something in me rebelled.
I shouted "No", and my hand blocked the entrance of her tongue.
"Please let me love you Eporedia", she pleaded. "You are so beautiful, my perfect little flower, please".
I saw the desperation of this incredible woman and realized maybe for the first time just how beautiful I was. "I can't", I said firmly.
She recovered her composure, "Bituitius?" she asked.
I blushed "Yes, How do you know?".
A weak smile appeared on her lovely face, "Remember, I am also a woman. I simply know."
I blushed a lot more.
"And does he reciprocate your feelings for him?"
"He loves my sister who is far more beautiful", I replied.
"Then he is not as wise as he pretends to be", Alicia said loudly. "Look in a mirror girl. Really look. Everything about you is perfect, your slender body, your pretty face, your lovely small firm breasts. You are beautiful. And what is more, there is a fiery spirit beneath this skin.  You are the rarest gem I have ever laid eyes on.  And he will find it out someday too.".
"When you return from the labyrinth", Alicia said, " I will teach you something that would make him worship at your feet.”
"I am not sure I want him at my feet", I replied. I was grateful for her saying "when" and not "if".
"Silly little one, what I mean is he will be anything you want him to be. For he is a man and though strong on the outside on the inside very pliable." She winked and I laughed.
"Eporedia", she said, "will you come to my bed tonight?"
I shook my head sadly.
"It is such a pity", she smiled. "But I am your friend always remember that and I make no demand that you do not wish to fulfil. "
"Thank you.  I will be eternally grateful."  And I was.
She reached under the couch and pulled something out and handed it to me. It was a flat box with a heavy object inside.
"What is it?” I asked.
"You can examine it later.  Remember to take it with you into the labyrinth," she said, "when the time comes you will know what to do with it.  Be careful, my dearest.  The labyrinth is a place of evil.  I was once there when I was small and I knew how it was inside before...."She paused as if speaking of it would bring something sinister to the room. "Go now my little flower and sleep well.  I will await your return."
I sensed I had found a true friend. I thanked the beautiful Queen and left her chamber
8楼
Chapter 10

The labyrinth was actually an abandoned mine.  From it, priceless gems had been extracted that had contributed to the building up of fabled Demetae riches.  People still talked of the days when sapphire as big as a quail's egg was considered a common find and emeralds the size of a child's fist was not unheard of.  But those days had gone ever since the Thing made the place its lair ten years back.  No one knew exactly what the Thing actually was as no one who had encountered it came back alive with eye-witnessing report.  Miners began to disappear, one by one at first, then in small groups until none dared venture into the hundreds of tunnels that would take them into the heart of the mine even with the threat of the most horrible execution.  The mine was finally closed down and a huge gate of heavy oak, reinforced with iron sheets, was erected at the entrance, not to stop people from going in, but to prevent what was inside from coming out.

It was a dismal morning.  Angry grey clouds forewarned the coming of a torrent anytime.  Not very encouraging signs to begin such a daunting task.
Bituitius and I had a light meal.  The possibility that it might be our last probably lingered in his mind as much as it did mine.  And we ate in silence.  I reached inside my hidden pocket and felt the cold metal of the thing the Queen had given me last night.  I had learned how to operate the cleverly crafted handles and knobs by now and hoped it would really help when we were to go inside.
Finally, we finished our meal, filled our sheepskins with clear water and made our way to the cursed gate.
The two guards on duty opened a secret side door for us to enter and promptly slammed it shut after we set our feet inside.  "Open the hatch and call us if you come back.?"
From the tone of their voices, they did not believe there would be any possibility of that happening and we were as good as lost.

The tunnels gave out a foul smell of unknown nature.  It was also pitch black.  Bituitius took my left hand and cast a spell. A tiny glow of blue appeared at the tip of my index finger.  It was only a very small source of light but enough for me to look around.  What I saw did not help to raise our spirits much.  A dark deep shaft led us all the way down with no end in sight.  There were also side tunnels leading to equally unsure destinations.  We knew these would branch out to more and we could easily lose our direction and become part of this macabre catacomb.

"Shall we move on?" I asked, half hoping that he would suggest turning back, though I knew this was really not a viable option.  
"Wait." Bituitius made a face and opened the bundle at his right and took out some yellowish substance which he scattered around the spot.
I also noticed there was another pouch at his left and it was not still like the other one.  Something alive was inside.
"What is that?"
"Our life-line." He even managed to smile.
I did not ask for more details as I had already become very uncomfortable with the place and wished to get it over with what we set out to do. We descended into the shaft.  It was even deeper than we thought and when we finally got to the end, it forked into four different channels.
"Now what?" I turned towards Bituitius.
He pulled out something from his lap.  The Water Disc immediately hovered above his palm
"The second one to the left." He said and took the lead.
"So, she had given it back to you."
"Of course, how else could we locate where the other disc is?  Besides, the Water Disc cannot help her much.  What she needs is the Ring."
The foul smell was getting stronger and stronger now.  It was so bad that I felt I would throw up anytime.  Yet Bituitius pressed on and I had no choice but to follow.  I certainly had no intention to be marooned at this wretched spot.
More forks more diversions.  I had lost count of the turns and was beginning to worry how we could find our way back.  Bituitius seemed unperturbed and kept dropping the yellow substance now and then.  Was it some kind of marker?  But how could we find them in such dim condition.
We took another turn and suddenly the place opened into a vast cave.  The ceiling also rose higher above us, relieving us of the feeling of being trapped as it did in the tunnels.  I looked in total amazement at the sides of the cave on which man-made scaffolds had been erected long ago.  Obviously it was a major excavation site before.
"Watch out!" Bituitius cried out and in the flash of a second, his hand gripped my wrist and pulled me back.  I looked where I was about to step and cold sweat ran down my spine.  In my eagerness to study the scaffolds, I had failed to notice a huge bottomless pit inches away.  I threw a pebble down.  There was no sound of its hitting the bottom.
Bituitius cast another spell and the glow at the tip of my finger shot through the open space that was the pit to the other side.  There was a landing at the other end but the gap in between was too wide for both of us to jump across.
We decided to go along the rim of the pit.  We walked on into other tunnels, taking the disc out now and then to make sure we were on the right track.
The foul smell was becoming almost impossible to withstand now and I was about to shriek when Bituitius grabbed me and covered my mouth.  To the left was a small cave.  With the small glow of light, what we caused our hairs stand on ends.
On one side of the cave was a small mount of human skeletons, the bones and the skulls piled onto each other forming a macabre pyramid.  At the far end, something was hovering in midair and beside it was a glittering light.  We knew we had found the Earth Disc and the ring!
But what captured our attention lied in the space between us and the hovering disc.  It was at least twice the height of Bituitius, who was by no means a short in height.  The scales sparkled in the dark, sending off ominous warning for any intruder that had happened to reach this point.  We followed our gaze to the gigantic triangular shape that was the head.  We were starring at a coiled python of at least forty feet long!
We held our breadth lest any sound, no matter how small, would awake the reptile from its slumbering sleep.  A panic ran in my stomach and told me to turn back at all cost.  But the disc at the other end was too much a temptation.  We could not abandon now.  
To go around the serpent and climb up the cliff to get the disc and the ring would be madness.
We looked at each other in the eyes.  
What must we do now?
A sudden idea ran through my head and I took out the metallic thing.  It was round in shape with a metallic point at one end.  I looked up at the ceiling.  It was around an arrow's shot and there was a gap of a yard or so between the rock and the head of the python.  
It was risky but I had no choice.
I took aim and pressed the small knob on the side.
The pointer shot out, a thin silver thread trailing behind it and the next moment, the pointer hit solid rock.  Tiny hooks mushroomed out and embedded themselves into the ceiling with a light click.  We glanced back at the python and held our breadth.  It did not show any sign of being awaken.  I took a deep breadth and made the starting run.  It held and I felt my body being catapulted into mid air.  The flight could not have lasted more than a few winks of the eye but to me, it seemed to be years.  I sensed passing the python so close that should it smack its forked tongue, it would ensnarl me with it and landed me into its mouth as a trapped prey.  I willed myself to swing onto my target, knowing that I would not have a second chance.
And I did it.  My landing spot was well chosen and the disc was within my reach.  I snatched it without hesitation and then proceeded to take up the magical ring.  It was much lighter than I thought and its golden surface radiated a glow that was enticing.  I smiled at my success and it reflected on the shiny metal. But, there was something else I saw there. I froze.
A pair of green eyes was starring at me from behind!

9楼
Chapter 11
I could feel my blood freezing in my veins.  I could not risk a back spring now, as it would certainly devour me in midair.  And my arm became more and more aching with each passing second.  Anytime now, the python would make its move and there would be no escape!
“Go! Epi! Now!” I heard Bituitius shouted.
I closed my eyes and swing back, expecting a sharp cut into my body by its probing fangs.  Instead I heard a loud crashing sound.  I opened my eyes and saw the python turned, distracted by the noise.  The original hill of skeletons had now littered the whole area, skulls with empty sockets rolled all over the place.  A big boulder was in the place where the pile of bones used to be.  Bituitius had hurled that with a spell and caused the monument of bones to collapse and that confusion gave me the brief break, which allowed me to make hair-splitting escape!
I landed back on the spot where I started and was still shivering.  But the python had realized it had been tricked of its prey and in anger, it turned and uncoiled!
“Run for your life, Epi!”  And the next instant, he sprang in front of me and back-tracked the way we came from.  I used one more second to retract the metallic pointer from the rock and saw it shot back into the metallic device and turned to run.  The hissing sound of the python was behind us, picking up speed as its full length was released.  I could almost feel the brush of its tongue against my back; its scale gliding along the walls of the tunnel we had chosen to flee.
“Bituitius, it is behind us!  What should we do?” I was desperate, as I knew it would not be long before I collapsed onto the floor, out of breadth and be sucked into the python’s stomach as a worthy meal.
Bituitius was not answering.  He just ran at the top of his speed.  I recognized the route now.  He was leading me and the python back to the cave with the bottomless pit!
“It is no use, Bituitius…we could not stop it there!”
What was he doing? Had he gone mad!?  We would not be able to cross the abyss but it, with its length and strength would easily spring across and get us!
Yet he ran on and I had no choice but to follow.
Finally we made it to the cave, panting.
 “Use that.  We would swing across.” The hissing sound again became closer. “Together!” he added.
I shot the metallic pointer to the top of the ceiling and fixed it in place.  Bituitius grab it the handle linked to the wire with one hand and my waist with the other and together we jumped forward.  I was not sure if the device could hold both of us together and it would be a long drop if it could not.  
The wire held and we landed on the other side.
But there was no other escape path.  We were trapped!
The python slowly moved into coiling position opposite to us.  It did not hurry, as it knew it had cornered us.
“Bituitius, it will spring against us..”
“Epi, shoot it in the eyes with your sling when it jump…”
“But…”
“Do as I say!” He bellowed.
I took out my sling with trembling hands and locked two pebbles into place.
The python unlashed its attack, flying straight at us as it used its tail to push against the rocky wall behind it.  
“Now!”
I let go and the two pebbles went straight for the eyes.  The python saw them coming too and slid shut its eyelids, my pebbles bounced off, eggs against an iron pen!
“We are dead meat!”  I thought.
But Bituitius was smiling.  
“Tetus Plumbia!” The druid cast his spell with his rod.
I knew that spell.  It was not a lethal one, just turning their heads momentarily into heavy lead and used mainly to turn dozing sentries into more deep sleep so that one could sneak around them.  The spell could only be cast against one whose eyes were close shut!
A dark purple beam found its target on the spot between the closed green eyes and the next instant the head of the python was turned into greyish lead!  If the serpent was on the ground, that spell could do nothing more than just stopping it for a brief moment.  But it was in mid-air and the head, heavy with tremendous weight, led the plunge into the dark abyss, bringing the whole length of it back to the place where it should belong.  
We did not hear any sound hitting the bottom.
We sat down and tried to adjust our breadth.  When this was done, we used the same device to cross the pit.  I clang to Bituitius tightly as if the python might rise from the pit anytime to hunt us.  
When we reached the other side and I retracted the pointer, I looked at the multi tunnels facing us.  Now we had got what we wanted, how could we find our way out of this maze to the gate?
Bituitius knew my thoughts but he did not seem to worry.
He led the way for a while until we reached a point where five tunnels led to different directions and there was no way we could identify which one we had used before.
“Bituitius…” I hoped the Druid was not just pretending to be calm.
He smiled and opened his bundle and handed me something.  I held it close and saw what it was- cheese.
I was about to ask him when I saw he opened up one compartment of the pouch on his left.  A tiny mouse appeared inside his palm, which he then placed carefully on the ground.
The mouse scurried away, sniffing.  We followed it for some way and then found it nibbling at something inside one tunnel.  Now I understood why Bituitius kept on dropping the yellow stuff.  He led me along the tunnel and after some time took out another mouse and sent it along when we were confronted with multiple tunnels again.  It worked and sure enough, our little friends guided us to those leading to upper levels.  
“How many mice had you brought along?” I asked.
“Enough.” He smiled and said, sending another pathfinder ahead of us.
Finally, we saw the gate now and my heart leapt with joy.
“Bituitius, you are really a cunning old fox!” I kissed him.
He did not evade my lips, as he must think he rightly deserved a reward.
“How do you know the mice will follow the cheese path?”
“Simple.  I only took along very hungry mice.” The druid replied.
We were at the gate and opened the hatch as was instructed.
“Hey, let us out! We are back!”
No answer!
Where did the guard go?
“Hey, Come here! “I shouted at the top of my voice.
Still no answer.
Something went wrong.
The gate was no obstacle to us though.  A simple spell guided the crowbar along and we pushed the heavy oak doors open.
The guards were not in sight.
“Epi, we better run along.”
I agreed and we rushed towards the palace.
When we reached there, the whole place was in utter confusion.  The maids were running in all directions, shrieking as if the end of the universe was at hand.
“What is happening?” I stopped a frightened maid and asked.
“The worm!  It has found the way up the fort!”
My face paled.  “Where is the queen?”
“On the ramparts!  Trying to defend against it!”
I let go of her and ran towards the spot where she had been pointing.
Sure enough, we could see the worm.  Even at this distance we could see its angry head rearing up, high above the rampart and threatened to crush down on the earthwork.  Alicia was standing on the walls alone, waving her magical wand, which sent out sparks and energy waves to try stopping the ugly thing. But it was a losing fight.  She could not hold up much longer.
I dashed up the stairs and flew to her side.
“Alicia!  I got the ring!”
“What?”
“I got the ring.” And as I said those words, I put the ring onto her small finger on her right.
She sighed relief.
While still fighting the hideous intruder with her magical spell, she cited the incantation that she had learned for years but lacked the instrument to bring it into effect.
I felt a wall of power being built up, starting from the ring, and expanding outward like a giant ripple.  Alicia’s body was engulfed in a golden sphere and her face lit up in a victorious smile.  The initiation was complete!
Without even having to use her magic, the Worm sank to the ground, its head bowing in submission.  What was an unstoppable pest was now as meek as a pet!
Alicia murmured something and we saw something unbelievable.  The worm was shrinking!
From its gigantic size, it shortened to less than the length of her palm.  She beacon it and it crawled towards her, to be picked up and put into a box made of oak.
I looked at her, mouth dropped in disbelief.
“Amazing, isn’t it?” She said with a smile and hugged me.  “You saved our kingdom.”
“But how can it ever protect your people now?” I looked at the box.
Alicia laughed.  “Size is only relative.  I can turn it back on its original form if I wanted to.  But now it is under my strict command and no one would be foolish to challenge the royal house.”
I nodded.  Something stirred inside me.  If she would not honour her words, there was nothing we could do to stop her.
She read my thoughts and laughed.
“Have no fear, my little one.  I will honour my pledge.  You can return the disc to me after your quest.  How can you think that I will betray you?”
I felt the heating up of my cheeks.
But she was in extremely jovial mood and wrapped her arm around my waist.  I did not protest.  After all, I was supposed to be her husband.
We stayed for two more nights, during which she taught me many things.  And then came the time to depart.  A ship was made ready for our use and as the vessel left harbour for the sacred island of Mona, Bituitius and I stood at the stern and waved good-bye to the beautiful queen.

10楼
Part III  Bitutius

Chapter 12

The plan was to head due north across the Great Bay and then make our way around the north promontory and make a landing on the west coast of Mona. It meant crossing open sea rather than following the land route but would shorten our journey by many miles and save us valuable time. Alicia had provided a sturdy vessel for our voyage and an experienced captain and crew so we were hopeful of a speedy and uneventful journey. Alicia had indeed proved a valuable ally.
We must have been about thirty miles into the Bay when a shout went out from one of the Demetae crew.
Epi standing along side me asked, "What is it Bituitius"?
At first I had no idea and then I saw it just as Epi did. "A ship", we said in unison.
The ship was too distant to make out any detail but it was clear that our crew were not expecting to see another vessel in these waters. The eyes of most of the crew were on the distant ship so the gasp of horror came simultaneously from many mouths. A huge tidal wave almost seemed to emanate from the ship itself and it soon became clear that it was heading our way.
"Time for another spell", Epi ventured in a pleading tone.
I racked my brains for an answer but a saving spell was not readily available and the wave fully sixty feet high was bearing down on us. As the wave grew ever closer I cursed myself for my stupidity and the terrified crew stared helplessly at their fate. The water disc plus a spell could save us. I placed the disc on the palm of my hand vaguely aware of Epi's shouts.
"Hurry", she cried, "It is almost upon us".
The disc turned pale blue, vibrated on my hand as if it had just been called into action and then it absorbed my thoughts. I knew it had but how I knew I did not know.
The sea incredibly opened and seemed to split leaving a gaping crevice. The tidal wave then fell into the resultant hole and disappeared from view just yards out from our ship.
Epi and the sailers clapped and cheered with relief at their unexpected escape while I struggled to regain my composure.
"That Druid magic is getting stronger by the day", Epi grinned.
But my attention was already on the next tidal wave heading in our direction but now I was ready. Once again the sea parted and the wave fell into the fissure.
"Whoever is in possession of the wind disc is creating these waves", I said to Epi.
"Orgetorix, she gasped.
"Probably", I replied and dealt swiftly with the third wave.
We waited - nothing.
"Well if it is Orgetorix, he has given up", I said confidently.
Epi linked my arm and smiled and I smiled back at her.
The rest of the journey was uneventful except for the looks of awe and fear I was receiving from the crew. I was not used to something approaching mass adoration. At last Mona was in view and the next stage of the quest was upon us.

11楼
Chapter 13

We finally arrived Mona.
For the holiest spot of the Druid world, the island seemed surprisingly common.  There were lines of the sacred oak trees of course, and a ring of stones that marked the site on the small cliff looking down to a clear holy lake.  But other than that, there was nothing really so different from other sites.  But a trained eye would spot the differences immediately as he set foot on the shore.  A ring of energy seemed to vibrate in the air, every breeze a personal message.  And there was heavy traffic along the road that led one from the shore to the top of the small knoll.  Druids young and old, females too, were making way towards the circle of stones, their gleaming white robes fluttering in the wind.  Many came her to seek advice from the wise old ones, to make an offering into the placid lake, or simply to come to revitalize their spent strength by sucking in the air along with its magical qualities.
The Council convened around the ring of stones and the most senior of the druids took the seat as head for that particular day.  The Council had no power to enforce any decision made as each druid was free and would be responsible only for his/her own conscience.  Still, the words of the Head of the Council, together the support of the elders, carried weight and the decisions made were more or less universally observed.
Epi had put down her short sword and her sling on the shore before we climbed up the gentle slope that would lead us to the top of the small cliff as no weapon was allowed beyond that point.  But I was allowed to keep the oak staff.  The old Druid who collected her weapons eyed us suspiciously as if he had seen a ghost.  We knew not the reason but such glance was repeated from others along the way.  People starred and pointed and it made us very uneasy.  We had no time to find out the reason as we suspected foul play was in the make. Otherwise, our vessel would not be detained in such manner and although we had met the challenge in the most ingenious method, it had delayed our arrival somewhat, though may be not as much as our Silure friends would like to.
There was quite a large gathering of druids at the top.  The wind was stronger there too and the fluttering of the white robes looked as if a hundred birds of shining white feathers were about to take flight as they stood shoulder to shoulder and formed a close pack circle facing the inside.  Some debate was going on and Epi and I had to elbow in.
The sight took us completely by surprise.  All at once we understood why the others were looking at us in that strange manner.  In the center of the open area sat Amlawdd, the eldest known and most revered Druid was sitting on the flat of a large rock flanked by equally renowned old masters.  They were hearing the plead of two persons before them.  I almost could not believe my own eyes.  I was looking at another pair of Epi and myself!
Epi was equally shocked.  She was about to rush forward when I caught hold of her shoulder and held her back.  My eyes told her to contain her temper and it was better to wait and see what had happened before we unmask the imposters.  We pulled our hoods lower to hide our identity for the moment.
The “Bituitius” in the open was in the midst of his petition speech.
“…So, beloved Amlawdd, this is the state of our tribe when the noble Sirona sent us, on behalf of her father, Cu Ciann, whom we all had grown to love.  The Silure are on the path to seek hegemony over all the tribes and Orgetorix had allied himself with the treacherous Eugenix and his disciple Asla, attacked our tribe in the most barbaric manner and even slay Tirix, the nineteen year old son of our great chief in order to steal the Water disc in the possession of our tribe.  Doubtlessly, they would seek ways to obtain the other five discs which we all know what kind of terrible consequence would occur if they succeed.  For this, Cu Ciann, our great chief had asked me to be his envoy to plead with the council to lend him the disc now in the Council’s possession, so as to prevent it from falling into the hands of the savage Silure…”
“But if the Dobunni could not even guard its own disc, why should we entrust another disc to their care?” The old master at Amlawdd’s right queried.
“Ah, but that is not true.  Our tribe is strong and the hordes of the Silure can hardly be our match.  They only succeeded last time because we were unaware of their plan and through treachery.  Now that we are aware, they will not succeed again.  And what better candidate than us to be the guardian of the discs.  The Silure have the means to attack any other tribe and seize them if they know their whereabouts. And this also put the Council in great peril.  For even if they may not invade Mona, they are not above using means of the most wicked kind, sending assassins to achieve their unholy ends.  From what we heard during the past three days, they had done exactly that and had obtained the Earth Disc from the Queen of the Memetae through deception.  Now they have already collected three discs.  Two more and the secret of the discs would be revealed and great devastation would befall the land.  It is tantamount that the fourth disc should not fall into their hands and there is no safer place than among the Dobunni.”
“And how do we know you are speaking the truth.  How can we know you are really sent by the great chief and his loving daughter, whom we all admire and respect without doubt as he has extended his protection for the right and the needy in all the past years? “  It was the other old master who spoke.
“Bituitius” gave a polite smile and gently pushed “Epi” forward.  I began to understand their plan.
“This was anticipated.  Look, the Great chief and beloved Sirona has sent with me Eporedia, the lovely sister of Sirona.  I trust you have not forgotten her, most noble Almabdd, when you paid us the honour of your visit two years back.”
Almabdd smiled and did not comment.  His eyes seemed filled with fond memories though.
“Bituitius” continued. “And as further proof, I have here the ring of seal from the Great Chief himself.” And from his pocket, he took out a gold ring with the largest amethyst embedded on it.  Epi and I both gasped, as it was indeed the true ring of our chief.
Almabdd took over the ring and examined it, nodding in satisfaction.
“Umm… If that all said is true, then there is no reason why we should deny the Chief’s request.  He had given us shelter in times of great strife and upheld the honour of the Druid practice all his life, may he live long and healthy.” The first old master became more acquiescent.
“Not if this man is not what he claims to be!” I pulled down my hood to my back and walked straight to the High Seat.  Epi followed me.  The “Bituitius” was startled at my sudden appearance but quickly calmed himself.  The “Eporedia” at his side was becoming uneasy though.  The circle of white robed figures stirred, as they now were looking two identical pairs.  Everyone knew some foul play was present.
“Who are you?” the imposter decided to make the first move.
“I am the one whom you claim to be, Bituitius, who, unlike you, Eugenix, has always spoken the truth and uphold the conduct becoming of a true Druid!” By now, both Epi and I could easily make out who the pair before us were …Eugenix and his admirer Asla!
The imposter gave a haughty laugh and ignoring me, turned to the chief Druid.
“Now I see what it is all about.  My most honoured Almabdd.  This must be the treacherous Eugenix and Asla who had betrayed the Chief! Arrest him and I am sure you can find the Water Disc with him and may be the Earth Disc of the Memetae too!”
“There is no need to search.” I replied, taking the two discs out. “I do have them but that does not mean I am what he called me.  The Water Disc was entrusted to me by the noble Sirona and the Earth disc was lent to us by the Queen of the Memetae, as a token of appreciation for freeing her people from the curse of the giant worm.”
“What proof have you to testify what you said are nothing but lies!”
“There is no need to prove.  My words are honourable and are proof enough. And Eporedia here would vault my honesty.”
The imposter snorted. “She was nothing but a false disguise.”
Epi was about to rush him but I held her back.  To use force here hardly is appropriate.
“Noble Almabdd.” I turned towards the old Druid. “ Please do not believe this man.  He is but a dark magician who had betrayed the way of the Druid and sold his soul to the evil Orgetorix. The disc is vital to the survival of all peaceful tribes and must not fall into the hands of these two.”
“Nonsense! You are the imposters!”
The accusation and counter-accusation had turned into a stalemate.  There was nothing I could do to prove their disguise.  If he were Eugenix as I was certain he to be, I would not have the magic to force him to transform back to his original self.  Besides, that would prove only I had a stronger magic.
All fell silent and eyes were turned to the Almabdd.  
Could he with his wisdom decide on the case?  It was a grave decision as putting the disc in the hands of the wrong person would be unthinkable.
Slowly, the old Druid rose from his seat.  
“It is a difficult case to decide really.” His voice was slow and soft and did not carry the tone of authority, as one would expect from a priest of such high position. “And human wisdom may prove inadequate, even for us wise Druids.”  
There was a round of laughers as his mouse look eyes scanned the assembly.
“So, I will leave it to the gods to decide.” He stamped the butt of his staff on the ground and two younger druids carried a huge cauldron forward and placed it in the foreground.  Another brought a closed wooden box.
The old priest came forward and slowly opened the box.  Voices gasped.  A huge spider with seven bright colour stripes on its back was revealed.
“As you see, “ the old priest used his fingers to catch the back of the spider. “This little thing was caught from the darkest bowel of the earth and its poisonous bite can kill within the time a man needed to take seven steps.  The “Seven step Death Stalker” we called it.”  He raised it high and let both me and the imposter to see it.  “I will put it in the cauldron, close the lid and open the side windows.  Each of you who claimed to be who you are must stretch and put your hand inside.”  He paused to let the message sink in.
“The gods will decide who has spoken the truth!”
I saw the “Epi” on the other side pale.  But the Eporedia on my side was not feeling that well too.  It would be risky to bet your life on the whim of the gods.  And it would be a painful death if smitten by that thing!
Almahdd put the spider into the cauldron and the lid was screwed on.  Four small windows were opened for us.
“Well?” the old priest looked at us.
We looked at each other in the eyes.  There was no turning back now, of course.  All the druids were watching in silence.  
“Do not worry.  The gods will only allow the spider to bit the one who deserves it!” the mouse-like eyes of Almabdd added comical element to this test of life and death.
We walked forward.  I could feel Epi shaking.
“Please, Epi.  Do not lose faith.  We are the real ones.” I was praying that she would not back down, that she would have enough courage to undergo the test.
I looked at Eugenix.  Sweat was coming down his brow.  He extended his hand nevertheless. Alsa was almost fainting but she had no choice.  Her arms were shaking violently as it was pushed into the hole the same time as we did.
The inside of the cauldron was creepy cool.  All our fears about the dark and unknown rose up from our stomachs.  Epi was afraid but a look from me reassured her as she realized she was sharing the same fate as me.  The other “Epi” was not faring so well and tears were running down her cheeks.
Something hairy touched my forearm!  I had the impulse to withdraw!  
“No! “ I said to myself. “I need not fear.  I am the real Bituitius!  The spider will not bite me!” I strengthened my resolve and held fast.  Epi’s face was very white now. The hairy thing must have also touched her forearm.  Her whole body was shaking but she persisted.  Then, suddenly, the other “Epi” gave a sharp cry and withdrew her hand like lightning!  
All the eyes were focused on her and she knew she had betrayed her real self.  There was a popping sound and the next instant, that Epi was no longer there.  Instead, a crow took flight and fled into the clouds.
“You fool!” Eugenix pulled out his arm and since it was no longer of any use to hide his self, he transformed back to his original form.  
“Get him!” The first old master shouted.
But it was too late.  Eugenix took out a disc and murmured and before anyone could touch him, he was in the air.  
“The Wind disc!”  I understood what had happened.  It was his means of escape.  So, he was really collaborating with the Silure!
The commotion died down quickly as the wicked pair disappeared into the blue.
It was then we realized our arms were still in the cauldron.
“Can we pull them out now?” Epi was pleading.
Almabdd smiled and nodded at the two young druids.  The lid was lifted.
Our arms were there, extended and shaking.  But there was no spider!  
Only four chicken feathers were attached to the base of the cauldron and it was this who gave us the creepy feeling as if the spider was about to smite!
“But where is the spider?  We saw you put it inside.” Epi’s face was full of puzzle.
Almabdd pulled us back.  When our arms were adequately withdrawn, the old druid pressed a catch at the side of the cauldron and a trap door appeared at the base.  The spider was inside.  The moment the lid of the cauldron was closed, that trap door had caused the spider to drop below and there was never any risk of our being harmed in any way!
“Crafty old Druid!” I cursed silently.
He must have heard it and he took no offense.
“So, the gods have decided.  Those who have pure hearts and trust themselves have nothing to be afraid.”
With that he took the disc from his robe and handed it to me.
It was a disc unlike those in our possession.  It was slightly smaller and heavier and it did not hover or emit any light.  
“Was it really one of the seven discs?” I asked.
The old man shrugged his shoulders.  “It is the disc we had guarded for generations.  Not that it did any good though.  Many had thought this to be a forged disc.”
“And is it?”
“Only time will tell, my child.” He went back to his seat and as if terribly tired after the whole thing, closed his mouse-like eyes.
I looked at the disc again.  If this disc was indeed not one of the seven, then it would mean we were not in possession of three discs and there was still a possibility of the Silure getting enough five to open the gate.  But that was future worry and we had to congratulate ourselves on being able to come out today unscathed.  
We bade the council farewell and returned to our ship.  It was time to think what we should do next.

电脑版 Page created in 0.3906 seconds width 3 queries.