楼主
  • 头像
  • 级别
    • 积分57360
    • 经验12201
    • 文章335
    • 注册2006-07-20
    What's Up? (Liao Kang)

When a house is burnt down, in English people say it is burnt up. When a boy swallows down the last morsel of his lunch, he eats it up. When an overhead door of a shop is pulled down and locked, it is locked up. What's up? Why does this English word seem to have such opposite meanings?

As an adverb, "up" has several meanings, and one of the two main different meanings refers to an erect or higher position; the other indicates completeness, which is less well known. In the first three sentences above, "up" means completely, and that explains the seemingly absurd usage of the word.

However, language sometimes is not logical but idiomatic. "Up" also has its just-so usage. One of its definitions in the Oxford English Dictionary is "used vaguely in a way similar to the use of down, round, over, across." So when somebody says, "She came up to me," he does not mean his position is necessarily higher than hers; rather, he refers to the direction. Just as when somebody says, "He went down the street," the street is not necessarily downhill. How can we non-native English speakers learn such idiomatic expressions? Memory. Don't try to rationalize why when I wind up my watch, it will go for a long time, but when I wind up this article, it will come to a stop. Just memorize the twofold meanings of this verbal phrase.
    LiaoKang
    在线情况
    • 头像
    • 级别
      • 会员认证会员
      • 财富7
      • 积分1103227
      • 经验140362
      • 文章4784
      • 注册2004-11-26
      康王爷,想不到你学贯中西啊,以后教我英美文学好不好?
      http://blog.wenxuecity.com/myindex.php?blogID=14348
      http://blog.sina.com.cn/u/1278777884
      在线情况
      • 头像
      • 级别
        • 职务区版主
        • 积分82520
        • 经验22282
        • 文章186
        • 注册2005-02-28
        So what's up, Mr. Liao?
        美华文学论坛感谢您的参与
        在线情况
        • 头像
        • 级别
          • 积分57360
          • 经验12201
          • 文章335
          • 注册2006-07-20
          Well, nothing much. Are you in the states?
          LiaoKang
          回复帖子 注意: *为必填项
          *验证信息 用户名 密码 注册新用户
          *帖子名称
          内容(最大25K)

其它选项 Alt+S快速提交